About the College
Administrators and Staff
Mission and Vision Statements
Faculty Areas of Expertise
Partnerships and Outreach
Advisory and Volunteer Boards
Alumni and Friends
Donate to The College Of Business
Our Alumni News
Assurance of Learning
AoL Organization Chart
MBA Learning Goals and Objectives
Undergraduate Learning Goals and Objectives
Student Information for the Assurance of Learning Exam
Faculty AOL Login
Departments and Centers
Executive Education & Professional Studies
PMP® Certification Prep
SHRM® Certification Prep
Executive Leadership Consortium
Future UMSL Business Building
News and Events
Salute to Business Achievement Awards 2015
Advanced MIS Lab
Graduate Management Admission Council
Links of Interest
Small Business Resources
Tutor and Lab Information
Awards and Scholarships
Visit UMSL |Business
Paul Surgi Speck
Assistant Professor of Marketing
Office: 1309 SSB Tower ~ Voice: 314-516-6496
Ph.D. (Marketing), Texas Tech University
Ph.D. (Literature), Auburn University
Teaching Areas: Marketing Strategy, Advertising, International Advertising, Consumer Behavior
- MKTG 3700 - Basic Marketing
- MKTG 5700 - Contemporary Marketing Concepts
- MKTG 5795 - Marketing Seminar II (on-line)
- MKTG 3780 - International Marketing
- MKTG 5701 - Marketing Planning and Strategy
- Areas: Promotion Strategy; Communication Effects in Advertising; Advertising Clutter; Humor in Advertising; Social Consequences of Advertising; Consumer Use of Media; International Marketing
- Selected Significant Publications:
- “Information Search and Purchase Patterns in a Multichannel Service Industry,” Services Marketing Quarterly, Vol. 33 (4), 292-310 (w/ Michael Elliott and Frank Fu). Link in Ebsco.
- "Factors That Affect Attitude Toward a Retail Web Site,” Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 13 (1), 40-51 (with Michael Elliott). Text available in ABI/INFORM and Ebsco.
- “Consumer Perceptions of Advertising Clutter and Its Impact Across Various Media," Journal of Advertising Research, 38 (1), 1-13 (with Michael Elliott). Text available in Ebsco.
- “Antecedents and Consequences of Perceived Advertising Clutter," Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 19 (2), 39-54 (with Michael Elliott). Text available in Ebsco.
- “Predictors of Advertising Avoidance in Print and Broadcast Media," Journal of Advertising, 26 (3), 61-76 (with Michael Elliott). Text available in ABI/INFORM and Ebsco.
- Former section editor Journal of Marketing.
- Occasional reviewer for Journal of Consumer Research and Journal of Advertising.