About the College
Advisory and Volunteer Boards
Departments and Centers
Executive Education & Professional Studies
PMP® Certification Prep
SHRM® Certification Prep
Executive Leadership Consortium
Our New Home
Awards and Scholarships
Visit UMSL Business
Paul Surgi Speck
Assistant Professor of Marketing
Office: 1309 SSB Tower ~ Voice: 314-516-6496
Ph.D. (Marketing), Texas Tech University
Ph.D. (Literature), Auburn University
Teaching Areas: Marketing Strategy, Advertising, International Advertising, Consumer Behavior
- MKTG 3700 - Basic Marketing
- MKTG 5700 - Contemporary Marketing Concepts
- MKTG 5795 - Marketing Seminar II (on-line)
- MKTG 3780 - International Marketing
- MKTG 5701 - Marketing Planning and Strategy
- Areas: Promotion Strategy; Communication Effects in Advertising; Advertising Clutter; Humor in Advertising; Social Consequences of Advertising; Consumer Use of Media; International Marketing
- Selected Significant Publications:
- “Information Search and Purchase Patterns in a Multichannel Service Industry,” Services Marketing Quarterly, Vol. 33 (4), 292-310 (w/ Michael Elliott and Frank Fu). Link in Ebsco.
- "Factors That Affect Attitude Toward a Retail Web Site,” Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 13 (1), 40-51 (with Michael Elliott). Text available in ABI/INFORM and Ebsco.
- “Consumer Perceptions of Advertising Clutter and Its Impact Across Various Media," Journal of Advertising Research, 38 (1), 1-13 (with Michael Elliott). Text available in Ebsco.
- “Antecedents and Consequences of Perceived Advertising Clutter," Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 19 (2), 39-54 (with Michael Elliott). Text available in Ebsco.
- “Predictors of Advertising Avoidance in Print and Broadcast Media," Journal of Advertising, 26 (3), 61-76 (with Michael Elliott). Text available in ABI/INFORM and Ebsco.
- Former section editor Journal of Marketing.
- Occasional reviewer for Journal of Consumer Research and Journal of Advertising.