About the College
Advisory and Volunteer Boards
Departments and Centers
Executive Education & Professional Studies
PMP® Certification Prep
SHRM® Certification Prep
Executive Leadership Consortium
Our New Home
Awards and Scholarships
Visit UMSL Business
Associate Professor of Marketing & Department Chair
Office: 219 Anheuser-Busch Hall ~ Voice: 314-516-6265
Ph.D., Business (Marketing), The University of Chicago
M.A., Business Administration, The Hebrew University, 1978
B.A., Statistics, The Hebrew University, 1975
Haim Mano (Ph.D., The University of Chicago Booth School of Business) is the Chair of the Marketing Department at the College of Business Administration, University of Missouri at St. Louis. Dr. Mano’s areas of teaching include consumer behavior, marketing research, behavioral economics, new product brand management, and marketing communications. His research focuses on the role of emotions in decision making and consumer behavior, innovativeness, the interface between digital technologies and decision making, personality and consumption, and customer satisfaction. He has published in various journals including the Journal of Consumer Research, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Journal of Retailing, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, Psychology and Marketing, Multivariate Behavioral Research, Motivation and Emotion, and Chinese Economy. He serves at the Editorial Board of the Journal of Behavioral Decision Making and has guest-edited an issue and served at the Editorial Board of Motivation and Emotion.
- Areas: Consumer Behavior, Marketing Research
- MKTG 3720 - Management of Promotion
- MKTG 3740 - Marketing Research
- MKTG 5710 - Consumer Motivation and Behavior
- MKTG 5720 - Marketing Communications
- MKTG 5740 - Marketing and Business Research
- Areas: Consumer Behavior, Behavioral Decision Theory, The Role of Affect in Decision Making
- Selected significant publications:
- Mano, H and Lee, K (forthcoming, 2014).” Beyond Simple Innovativeness: Hierarchical Continuum and Thinking and Feeling Processing”, Social Behavior and Personality.
- Fung, H., Ju, M. and Mano, H. (2013). “Firm Capabilities and Performance: An Institutional Perspective on Foreign and Local Firms in China”, Chinese Economy. Volume 46, Number 5 / September-October 2013, 86-104
- Korhonen, P., Mano, H., Stenfors, S. and Wallenius, J. (2008). “Inherent Biases in Decision Support Systems: The Influence of Optimistic and Pessimistic DSS on Choice, Affect, and Attitude”, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making. 21 (1) 45-58.
- Fung, H., Gao, G., Lu, J. Mano, H. (2008). “Impacts of Competitive Position on Export Propensity and Intensity: An Empirical Study of Manufacturing Firms in China,” Chinese Economy, 41, (5) 51-67.
- Mudigonda, S., Kang, S. and Mano, H. (2006). “The Moderating Influence of Personality and Situational Variables on the Effect of Recommendation Agents on Perceived Decision Quality and Perceived Information Quality,” Proceedings of the 12th Americas Conference on Information Systems, http://aisel.aisnet.org/amcis2006/369.
- Mano, H. (2004). “Emotion and Consumption: Perspectives and Issues”, Motivation and Emotion, 28(1) 107-120.
- Mano, H., "The Influence of Pre-Existing Negative Affect on Store Purchase Intentions", Journal of Retailing, 75(2), 1999, 149-172.
- Mano, H., "Affect and Persuasion: The Influence of Pleasantness and Arousal on Attitude Formation and Message Elaboration," Psychology and Marketing, 14(4), 1997, 315-335.
- Mano, H., "Risk Taking, Framing Effects, and Affect," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 57, 1994, 28-58.
- Mano, H. & Oliver, R., "Assessing the Dimensionality and Structure of the Consumption Experience: Evaluation, Feeling, and Satisfaction," Journal of Consumer Research, 20(3), 1993, 451-466.
- Mano, H. , "Judgments Under Distress: Assessing the Role of Unpleasantness and Arousal in Judgment Formation," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 52, 1992, 216-245.
- Editorial Board, Member
Journal of Behavioral Decision Making