About the College
Mission and Vision Statements
Faculty Areas of Expertise
Partnerships and Outreach
Administrators and Staff
Advisory and Volunteer Boards
Alumni and Friends
Donate to The College Of Business
Our Alumni News
Departments and Centers
Future UMSL Business Building
News and Events
Breakfast and Business
Advanced MIS Lab
Graduate Management Admission Council
Honor Societies and Student Organizations
Links of Interest
Small Business Resources
Awards and Scholarships
Director of Public Policy Administration
Associate Professor of Management and
Public Policy Administration
Office: 1008 SSB Tower ~ Voice: 314-516-6277
PhD - Organizational Behavior, School of Industrial & Labor Relations, Cornell University, 1999
M.S. - Organizational Behavior, School of Industrial & Labor Relations, Cornell University, 1994
B.S. - Housing, School of Human Ecology, Cornell University, 1980
- Areas: Organizational Theory, Organizational Conflict Management, Organizational Behavior, Business and Society
- Organizational Behavior and Administrative Processes
- Organizational Change and Design
- Workplace Conflict Management
- Areas: Organizational Theory, Organizational Conflict Management, Disability, Sociology of Work, Nonprofit Organizations
- Selected Significant Publications:
- Balser, D. B. and A.E. Winkler. 2012. "Worker Behavior on the Job: A Multi-Methods Study of Labor Cooperation with Management." Journal of Labor Research, (In press).
- Balser, D. B. and J. Carmin. 2009. "Leadership Succession and the Emergence of an Organizational Identity Threat." Nonprofit Management & Leadership, 20(2):185-201.
- Balser, D. B. 2007. "Predictors of Workplace Accommodations for Employees with Mobility-Related Disabilities." Administration & Society, 39(5): 656-683.
- Balser, D. B. and J. McClusky. 2005. "Managing Stakeholder Relationships and Nonprofit Organization Effectiveness." Nonprofit Management & Leadership, 15(3): 295-316.
- Carmin, J. and D. B. Balser. 2002. "Selecting Repertoires of Action in Environmental Movement Organizations: An Interpretive Approach." Organization & Environment, 15(4): 365-388.
- Balser, D. B. 2002. "Agency in Organizational Inequality: Organizational Behavior and Individual Perceptions of Discrimination." Work and Occupations, 29(2): 137-165.
- Balser, D. B. and R. N. Stern. 1999. "Resistance and Cooperation: A Response to Conflict over Job Performance." Human Relations, 52(8): 1029-1053.
- Balser, D. B., 1997. "Impact of Environmental Factors on Factionalism and Schism in Social Movement Organizations," Social Forces, 76(1): 199-228.