About the College
Administrators and Staff
Mission and Vision Statements
Advisory and Volunteer Boards
Departments and Centers
Executive Education & Professional Studies
PMP® Certification Prep
SHRM® Certification Prep
Executive Leadership Consortium
Our New Home
General Academic Guidelines
Awards and Scholarships
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)
Visit UMSL Business
L. Douglas Smith
Professor of Management Science and
Director of the Center for Business and Industrial Studies
Office: 220 Express Scripts Hall ~ Voice: 314-516-6108
Brief bio: www.umsl.edu/~ldsmith/ldsbio.htm
Ph.D., Management Sciences, University of Minnesota, l972
M.B.A., McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada, 1968
B.Sc. (Physics), McMaster University, 1966
- Areas: operations research, applied statistics, international logistics
· LOM 6350 - Management Science Methods
· LOM 5354 - Simulation for Managerial Decision Making
· LOM 5312 - Advanced Statistical Methods for Management Decisions
· LOM 5381 - International Logistics and Operations Management
· LOM 5300 - Statistics for Managerial Decisions
· BA 4312 - Business Forecasting
- Areas: Creation and implementation of analytical models and information systems for the solution of managerial problems
- Selected Publications:
- Smith, L.D., Sweeney, D.C, Campbell, J.F., "Simulation of Alternative Approaches to Relieving Congestion at Locks in a River Transportation System", Journal of the Operational Research Society, 2008, in press.
- Smith, L.D., Jin, B., "Modeling Exposure to Losses on Automobile Leases", Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 2007, 29:24`1-266.
- Smith L.D., C. Bilir, V.W. Huang, K. Hung, M. Kaplan, "Citibank Models Credit Risk on Hybrid Mortgage Loans in Taiwan", Interfaces, 35(3), May-June, 2005, 215-229
- Smith, L.D., R.M. Nauss, R.J. Banis, R. Beck, AStaffing Geographically Distributed Service Facilities with Itinerant Personnel@, Computers and Operations Research, Vol. 29 (2002), 2023-2041.
- Smith, L.D., Sanchez, S.M, & Lawrence, E.C., "A Comprehensive Model for Managing Credit Risk on Home Mortgage Portfolios," Decision Sciences, Vol. 27(2), Spring 1996, 291-317.
- Smith, L.D., & Moses, S., "Strategic Planning of Transportation Services for Petroleum Products: An Application of Capacitated Gravity Models," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol 88, 1996, 215-230.
- Smith, L.D., & Lawrence, E.C., "Forecasting Losses on a Liquidating Long-Term Loan Portfolio," Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol 19, 1995, 959-985.
- Smith, L.D., Nauss, R. & Bird, D., "Decision Support for Bus Operations in a Mass Transit System," Decision Sciences, Vol. 21(1), Winter 1990, 183-203.
- Extensive experience as consultant to major North American corporations and governmental agencies, designing and implementing quantitative models and computer-based systems for risk analysis, forecasting, corporate planning and business operations.