About the College
Administrators and Staff
Mission and Vision Statements
Advisory and Volunteer Boards
Departments and Centers
Executive Education & Professional Studies
PMP® Certification Prep
SHRM® Certification Prep
Executive Leadership Consortium
Our New Home
General Academic Guidelines
Awards and Scholarships
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)
Visit UMSL Business
Degrees Held: Ph.D. Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences, Northwestern University, 1980; M.A. Economics, California State University - Fullerton, 1975; B.S. Industrial Engineering, Northwestern University, 1972
- Areas: Operations Management; Operations Research
- LOG OM 3320 - Introduction to Operations Management
- LOG OM 5320 - Production and Operations Management
- LOG OM 5322 - Lean Production in Manufacturing and Service Operations
- LOG OM 5325 - Environmental Sustainability and Business Operations
- Areas: Location Analysis, Lean Production in Service Systems, Environmental Aspects of Operations
- Selected Significant Publications:
- A.P. Hurter and J.S. Martinich, Facility Location and the Theory of Production, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 1989.
- J.S. Martinich, Production and operations Management: An Applied Modern Approach, John Wiley, New York, 1997.
Articles in Print
- J.S. Martinich, "College Football Rankings: Do the Computers Know Best?" Interfaces 32(5) (2002) 85-94. (Reprinted in ORMS Tomorrow 5, (Spring, 2003)).
- J.S. Martinich, "The Critical Few Minutes in Scheduling Time-Varying Queuing Systems, Decision Sciences 33 (2002) 415-431.
- M.A. Millstein and J.S. Martinich, “Takt Time Grouping: Implementing Kanban-Flow Manufacturing in an Unbalanced, High Variation Cycle-Time Process with Moving Constraints,” International Journal of Production Research (2014).
Published Technical Reports/Monographs
- J.S. Martinich, Lee Fox, Alan Hauff, and Anand Jeyaraj, Recycling Means Business: St. Louis Metropolitan Area Recycling Economic Information Study (SLMAREIS), St. Louis - Jefferson Solid Waste District, 2003, 98 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, "Estimated Government Revenue Effects of Recycling, Reuse, and Re-Manufacturing (RRR) Businesses in the St. Louis Metropolitan Area," St. Louis - Jefferson Solid Waste Management District, December 30, 2003, 6 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, "Analysis of Student Retention Data and Recommendations, University of Missouri - St. Louis, June 1, 2004, 51 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, "Recycling, Reuse, and Re-Manufacturing in the St. Louis Metropolitan Area: An Update of the SLMAREIS," St. Louis - Jefferson Solid Waste Management District, March 22, 2006, 34 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, "Recycling, Reuse, and Re-Manufacturing in Missouri: An Update of the MOREIS," St. Louis - Jefferson Solid Waste Management District, May 28, 2006, 33 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, “Economic Impact Analysis of the St. Louis-Jefferson SWMD Waste Reduction and Recycling Grant Program,” St. Louis-Jefferson Solid Waste Management District, October 31, 2008, 44 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, “Recycling, Reuse, and Re-Manufacturing in Missouri: an Update of MOREIS2006,” St. Louis-Jefferson Solid Waste Management District, August, 2011, 31 pages.
- J.S. Martinich, “Survey, Summary, and Analysis of Landfill Tipping Fees and Recycling/Waste Diversion Grants and Assistance Programs in Midwest and Neighboring States,” St. Louis-Jefferson Solid Waste Management District, August, 2012, 23 pages
- Member, UM System Retirement and Staff Benefits Committee
- Editorial Board, Journal of Managerial Issues