About the College
Administrators and Staff
Mission and Vision Statements
Faculty Areas of Expertise
Partnerships and Outreach
Advisory and Volunteer Boards
Alumni and Friends
Donate to The College Of Business
Our Alumni News
Departments and Centers
Future UMSL Business Building
News and Events
Breakfast and Business
Advanced MIS Lab
Graduate Management Admission Council
Honor Societies and Student Organizations
Links of Interest
Small Business Resources
Awards and Scholarships
Associate Professor of Accounting
Office: 1208 SSB Tower ~ Voice: 314-516-6122
Ph.D. (Accounting), University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 1995
MBA, University of Pittsburgh, 1990
BBA (Accounting), University of Notre Dame, 1984
- ACCTNG 6441 - Seminar: Taxes and Investments
- ACCTNG 4441 - Advanced Federal Taxation: Tax Research and Business Taxation
- ACCTNG 3441 - Income Taxes
- Areas: How taxation impacts decisions of businesses and individuals. Tax-efficient investing and spending of investments in retirement.
- Selected Significant Publications:
- Geisler, Gregory G., and Jerrold J. Stern. "Retirement Account Options When Beginning A Career." Journal Of Financial Service Professionals 68.3 (2014): 45-50.
- Geisler, Greg. 2013 Federal Income Tax Laws that Cause Individuals' Marginal and Statutory Tax Rates to Differ. Journal of Accounting Education, 31(4): 430-460, 2013.
- Geisler, G. & Moehrle, S., "The Effect of State Taxes on Baseball Free Agents," State Tax Notes, 2013.
- Geisler, G. & Moehrle, S., "Missouri Tax Savings Are The 'MO$T'," The Asset, November 2011.
- Geisler, G. & Farmer, T., "MO$T is a MUST," The Asset, March 2007.
- Geisler, G. & Farmer, T., "Taking Stock of Employee Stock Purchase Plans," Journal of Accountancy, May 2007.
- Geisler, G. & Wallace, S., "The Use of Compensation for Tax Avoidance by Owners of Privately-Held Corporation," Journal of American Taxation Association, Spring 2005.
- Geisler, G., "Ranking the Choices between Retirement Savings, College Saving, Other Investing, and Paying Off Debts," Journal of Accountancy, September 2006.
- Geisler, G., "An AMT Trap that Caught Teresa Heinz Kerry in 2003," Tax Notes, July 2005.
- Geisler, G. & Larkins, E., "Current Year Tax Laws that Cause Low Visibility of an Individual's Effective Marginal Tax Rate," Tax Notes, Nov. 3, 2003.
- Geisler, G. & Wingbermuehle, K., "Retirement Savings Credit: Investing $1500 at a cost of only $284," Tax Notes, July 7, 2003.
- Geisler, G. & Larkins, E., "Marginal Tax Rates on Foreign Profits of U.S. Multinationals," Advances in Taxation, 2002.
- Geisler, G. "Equity Security Investments: Evidence on Tax-Induced Dividend Clienteles," Journal of American Taxation Association, Spring 2000.
- Geisler, G., Calegari, M. & Larkins, E., "Implementing Teaching Portfolios and Peer Reviews of Tax Courses," Journal of American Taxation Association, Fall 1999.
- Geisler, G., Adkins, N. & Thompson, S., "Selling a Principal Residence after TRA '97," The Tax Adviser, February 1998.
- Geisler, G., Collins, J. & Shackelford, D., "The Effects of Taxes, Regulation, Earnings, and Organizational Form on Life Insurers' Investment Portfolio Realizations," Journal of Accounting and Economics, 1997.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Governor's Excellence in Teaching Award (awarded to one UMSL professor per year) 2006
- Deloitte / American Taxation Association's Teaching Innovation Award for "Tax Writing Web Site" (available at www.gsu.edu/~accerl ), 2004
- Junior Faculty Outstanding Teaching Award, Georgia State University, 2000
- Visiting Professor at Indiana University (Bloomington), 2001-2002
- Worked in public accounting for 5 years